Tuesday, November 16

What this is, part 2

The hardest part of this blog, for me, is defining the audience, which of course defines the content. Am I writing it for the whole world, all of whom will never see it? Am I writing for my family and friends, most of whom will likely never see it more than twice? Am I writing it for myself?

Yes, I'm writing it for myself. But I also want an audience. So, what am I writing about?
I think what I want to do with The Edge of Nowhere is write about where I live. One thing I've said/thought several times is that it would be swell to have someone (i.e., me, in a continued, prolonged bout of unlaziness of which I seem unsuited) write a series of books like the Laura's Little House on the Prairie books about life when I grew up, in the '60s or '70s, or about growing up now (as my children are doing). Her books are wonderfully full of details and you get a tremendous sense of what it was like to live on the prairie in the late 18th century, which is when/where my ancestors are from. Someday, a hundred years from now, people will wonder what it was like grow up in the 20th century, and what it was like the first time we got a color television, or a VCR, or cable TV, or a cordless phone. What was everyday life like? What did the people who lived as primitively as we do now, today, think about their lives? How did they feel about them. So that's one thing I want to do with The Edge of Nowhere.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?