Saturday, January 29

Bobby sings on the edge

Just a quick note: Bobby McFarrin was amazing last night on a drizzly evening on the edge of nowhere. I've never seen an audience so keyed into what was happening, and so appreciative of each song. I mean, I've been in rock audience crowds (Oingo Boingo, Springsteen come to mind) where the crowd was huge and loud, but their energy seemed as much about "being" at a concert and seeing who we were seeing more than what was actually happening on stage. But last night -- wow! He controlled us, and we wanted to be controlled, singing along where he invited us to. Amazing voice. Great stage presence (I thought, learning what I could for, you know, the long distance future when I'm on tours reading and signing and selling books -- lesson learn: look like you're having a lot of fun (even if you're telling the same joke night after night), smile a lot, talk to people, know where you are because people will laugh about anything you say about their city if you say anything about their city... for example, Bobby made a couple of references to the altitude and its effect on his singing). He did jazz, classical, television theme shows, a few pop numbers and he finished with the entire Wizard of Oz over perhaps 10 minutes. Oh, and an edge thing: we went over to Armadillo for dinner before the show, after Reade's ballet class, and Connor held the door open as Bobby came out. He was going to walk over to the theater after dinner, just like we would an hour later. I gave him a nice small town howdy. He smiled back, his eyes acknowledging my presence (not that that matters...). Nick, try to see him next time he's anywhere close to Chicago. You'll totally dig the show.

Comments:
Eric, I love your description of Bobby McFerrin's concert. He is a huge favorite of mine, ever since I saw him do that entire Wizard of Oz thing, on TV, some years ago. Paul and I still talk about that sometimes. It was amazing.
And Nick, you've heard me say this too many times, I guess, but one of the reasons I really like the Beatles is that they always looked like they were having fun, unlike someone like Michael Jackson, for example, who always came across to me as if he was trying way too hard to be angry at the whole world.
Terry/Mom
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?