Tuesday, January 18

Cold War 2.0

I know, I know, I'm pretty slow on the update sometimes. Reading this New Yorker article by Seymour Hersh I think I finally get it. Without a big bad Soviet presence in the world, the military-industrial complex had a hugely diminished reason to exist. Forget the fact we had domestic prosperity throughout the 90s as democracy spread across eastern Europe and central Asia, I can see more and more clearly now that the military and America's largest corporations seem to need some dastardly opponent.

I guess the 9/11 terrorists gave them that, even though Iraq had nothing to do with it. They were, in the eyes of Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld, just bad, or worse. evil. The trio of evil. And now, as Hersh writes, it appears the Bush Administration has been conducting secret reconnaissance missions in Iran so that in his second term, sources say Bush intends to expand the war on terror and give Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and the Pentagon control of it. It's not just about 9/11 anymore, if in ever was once we go beyond the Taliban. It's about creating a whole new cold war, a mindset for America to always be at war, to have enemies, to fund the wasteful military rather than continue to grow the economy add jobs and save the planetary enironment. Sadly, the way the Bushies are running this new war, it's clearly much hotter than most of the cold war. How many American solider deaths in the "search for weapons of mass destgruction" in Iran? Oh yeah - pushing 1,400 now.

Comments:
Hey, Eric,

Fascinating stuff--I'll read that article sometime. In the meantime, have you ever heard of, or read, a book called "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man", by, I think, John Perkins? This is a new book that has been highly highly recommended to me by some good friends of ours, who say that it explains "everything" that's been happening as far as the the U.S. is concerned for the past 40-60 years. I've just barely begun it, and already I'm wondering, "Is it really this bad?" And the other thing I'm wondering is, "And they haven't assassinated this guy yet?"
Terry
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?