Wednesday, January 5

GreNoFiMoYearGos

The GreNoFiMo gang met earlier tonight at a local chain bookstore's coffee shop, each of us sharing the past month's progress and making semi-fluid goals to achieve by the our next meeting in February. I've always been leary of writer's groups, due mainly to my own inherent anti-socialness and complete lack of public seriousness of my own writerly ambitions, but I will admit this group is fun to be around and is keeping me moving forward on my current novel. Besides, everything I've tried to help finish my five previous novels has mostly failed to get beyond a rough first draft (in my opinion), so I'm willing to try some external peer pressure/positive reinforcement.

So I will have a finished first draft to brag about and drink mocha lattes to in five weeks, getting to the point where Jared's at now, while Amy promises to get to the point where I'm at right now, which is a printed copy of a rough and tumble first draft, while we assume the absent Chris adds another 5,000 words and Niki finishes her second rewrite. My own word count sits at just a few score words under 60,000, which is no longer important aside from a measure of progress. What I still need to do (and this post can now officially be ignored by all readers and filed under a note to self heading) is change one character nearly completely, beef up (tofu up? soy up? protein up?) (i before e except after c and in protein?) the wife character, create the town of Utopia, Colorado, add a lot of color and develop the main male character's quirks and complete those four or five missing chapters between when I left off working before the solstice to the three or four ending chapters I wrote earlier this week to claim I was done with a rought first draft when we met tonight. My intentions are good and the year is young: if you see me in meatspace feel free to ask me how it's going. Keep me honest. OK. G'night.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?