Friday, April 29

Too harsh?

I didn't mean to sound so harsh and demeaning towards those other writers I observed last weekend. My last post may have gave you that impression, making fun of their genres and what not. I know I'm a snob and can certainly come off as holier-than-thou. So... there you go.

It's also true I was somewhat also jealous of them. I was impressed by the dedication and devotion these people had, perhaps masked or observed as a desperation to sell, and the extreme self-confidence so many had in their books, their projects, their work. I'd like to steal some of that energy and dedication, for sure try to.

Did I feel like a fish out water? Maybe a bit at first, feeling I was better than them, mocking them for their genres, but by the end I can see I'm just like "them" -- those other writers -- in many ways both good and bad and while that should leave me feeling sad and depressed, it's motivating. I was just like them just like I'm also those people at dog shows and bird-watchers and model train conventions who are all so easy to make fun of. But you know what? I'm happy to be those people so I may as well be happy to be a writer like them. I wish I was. And so I write, and in the near future I'll work to sell, or at least to find an agent to sell for me. The time has come. And some day in 2-5 years I'll have that agent, maybe even sooner. And someday that agent will make money off me. Which will be good for both of us.


(Do I sound like a jerk? I do, don't I. Sigh.)

(Well, no one said this was pretty.)

Comments:
makes the rest of you look oh-so-sweet and nice in comparison. you can thank me later.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?