Tuesday, May 17

Has this ever happened to you?

Have you ever felt the earth spin? It's late Sunday afternoon, and I'm playing catch with a tennis ball with Reade and her friend Caitlin in the front yard. I happened to look up and see a jet contrail straight across the center of the moon and stretching way across the big Colorado sky, from mountains to prairie. "Hey, you can see the moon," I said to the girls, who then looked up with me. "And look at the jet streak."

What we saw was the streak drifting away from the moon. At first, it looked simply like the wind was blowing it away. But the contrail was not disturbed at all: still sharp, still very straight, not wind blown. So we watched it drift away and pondered. My next thought was we were watching the moon move across the sky. But it wouldn't move that fast, right?. Within a minute it became clear that the contrail was staying put and we were actually seeing the earth rotating. Wild. Fun. Odd. Made me feel small, just a blip on a tiny blue-green planet, spinning in space.

OK, this has nothing to do with writing, but there you go.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?