Friday, May 6

Insurance and writers

In case you didn't know, when I'm not writing fiction, or worrying/dreaming about writing fiction, or any of a dozen other things (being a father, a bird nerd, a dog owner, a mower of lawns, etc. etc. etc.), I work for one of the world's largest insurance and financial services companies. I sit in a cubicle. Yes, it has been known to get me down (but only when my alterego Sarcasm Man (or my other alterego, Cynical Boy) isn't around).

So this cheers me up: Noted writers who spend their daytimes, or much of them at least, toiling in the same uncreative corporate world as I, include...

Franz Kafka (that explains a LOT) -- Franz Kafka may be regarded as one of the literary titans of the 20th century, but to make a living Franz worked for the Workers’ Accident Insurance Company of the Kingdom of Bohemia, only leaving the company near the end of his life when his tuberculosis forced him to take workers’ compensation. Though he worked in the insurance office during the day, at night and weekends and holidays he created some of the most harrowing literary masterpieces of the 20th century.

Thomas Mann -- Like Kafka, Thomas Mann worked in insurance while striving to become a writer, but unlike Kafka, he was able to leave his job at the German Fire Insurance Company to devote himself fulltime to writing. His experience in insurance is occasionally reflected in his writing, most importantly in 'The Magic Mountain.'

Wallace Stevens -- Far and away the most important American literary figure to work in insurance -- so far! -- was the poet Wallace Stevens. Stevens is remarkable for the fact that he achieved great success both as a poet and an insurance executive, becoming executive vice president of the Hartford Accident and Indemnity Company and authoring a number of important publications on insurance theory. He developed the habit of walking to work, during which time he would compose verses in his head. Stevens’s company one summer hired a college student as an intern, who was also a fan of poetry, and found it fascinating that one of the executives of the company had the same name as one of his favorite poets. It never occurred to him that the two could be the same Wallace Stevens.

Personally, I've always been oddly proud that Kurt Vonnegut spent a dozen years or so doing PR writing (like I do) for General Electric (not where I work). Of course, he got out after less than ten years; I'm going on year 17 or 18 for my current employer.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?