Sunday, May 15

Movie nights

But first, I'm sitting in the dark here on the second floor, the ceiling lights off to help reduce the heat trapped up here (it was a warm sunny day, and this west-facing window sucks in the sun all afternoon and evening), and I'm staring at the ghost of myself staring back at me in my window reflection, each of us wearing a gray t-shirt, eerie shadows on my face as its lit from below (think camping flashlight under the chin) boo! Or think of my floating face there in space as a projected image, moviewise.

Speaking of which, so Friday night Connor and I went over to the Rialto Theater in Loveland to see the sixth Silver Spoon Film Festival, which is a showcase for young, local filmmakers. Most of the 15 movies we saw were made by teen-agers in the 14-19 age group -- the award winners from the 34 entries -- and a number of them were quite entertaining. As you can guess, if you know us, we were there scouting the process for entering next year. I think Connor intends to enter a film or two in the contest next spring. We'll of course keep you posted.

Saturday night we went and saw Kicking and Screaming, a typically cliche youth sports movie with exactly one redeeming feature: Will Farrell. The movie is nothing to write about (despite my doing so now), but Farrell is in classic form. It'll never be his best movie, but still I laughed so hard...

Nothing to report on the writing front. Sigh. But the lawns got mowed and I took Connor and three of his friends over to Devils Backbone in Loveland so Connor could film (see above) a couple of short parody westerns in that oh-so-Western looking spot, and we worked a bit (accomplishing nothing but spending more money) on fixing the sprinklers.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?