Tuesday, May 31

Publisher's Lunch

One constructive thing I've done -- as opposed to the numerous unconstructive things I've done -- since the writer's conference is pay closer attention to the book publishing industry. If I'm planning on someday soon slicing into a narrow sliver of that pie, I suppose it makes some sense (contrary to the thinking that I want a literary agent precisely so I don't have to worry about the business end of things). So I bookmarked a few industry sites, signed up for a few industry newsletters and started paying a bit of attention.

One thing I've noticed from reading the Publisher's Lunch newsletter is that it seems on an average day some 25 or 30 deals are made (and these are just the deals reported to this particular site). These are deals agents have made selling books to publishing houses. That's 125 a week. Or some 6,000 per year on the low end. It helps make the odds seem not so daunting… and the possibility of one of those in the next year or two being one of my books.

And that's a nice thought on those dark mornings when I sit and type and type and type and watch the sun stretch across the suburban prairie and wonder why I write.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?