Thursday, February 9

Dedication

It's hard to be dedicated, I suppose. You'd think it would be easy. You'd think it would be easy to do the things you like to do, but it's suprisingly hard, I think. If you like doing it, what's stopping you from doing it all the time, or at least as often as you can? Life. Responsibility. Commitments. Television. Those sorts of things.

Why is that?

I bring it up because, obviously, as this blog is about my so-called writing career, I like to write. It's what I should be doing all the time, physical stamina permitting, food-and-shelter permitting, parenting-permitting. I like to write fiction. I want to write fiction. I need to write fiction. I hope to get paid to write fiction, or more accurately, I hope to make money from writing fiction. I like writing fiction. I think I'm good at it, at least I'm good at the process of writing fiction. And yet. It's hard to be dedicated enough to do the thing I like to be doing even for just 45 minutes or an hour every day.

It should be done. It should be a matter of will power, if nothing else. Self discipline. Dedication.

And yet...

Why is that?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?