Monday, September 18

An unhinged workplace comedy?

So I was walking past the elevators at work today, strolling from my cubicle to the break room to feed four quarters into the vending machine for my third or fourth 20 ounce diet cola of the day, when this thought came to me: "What if it was a workplace comedy. An unhinged workplace comedy."

Yeah, what if?

It, of course, is my next project, since I'm always about moving on, moving forward, starting something new. And it is fall, the "new" season. So since my brother noted a few weeks back that he has idea for this year's National Novel Writing Month, and my pal Jared's been slowly talking me into doing it again, I've been pondering 'it.'

Ideas come to me all the time, and I let 95 percent slide away into oblivion. Of that five percent, I'll write them down and see what happens then. Usually, they just fade away, failing to catch my attention or imagination.

Like this, from last Thursday: "What if the narrator is taking part in the first moon based society: "I was 12 when they announced Libertyville, the first permanent moon settlement."

Or this. from last month sometime: "What if it's a story about a guy who totally does not believe in heaven or hell or the afterlife, but then he dies and it's all real, from the tunnel of white light to the big guy with the flowing robes and long hair and angels, and he turns himself into a ghost angel and goes back to earth to try and prove the spirit world still exists, but nobody believes him."

Or maybe this, from earlier this year: It's a world where the dogs are actually the smart, sentient beings and they keep the humans for pet; tell the story from the dogs point of view."

Mostly, they're lame. But sometimes...

So I had an hour to spend thinking about it, from the time I left work until I had to pick up my son after his drum lesson, and I sat with a notebook at the Borders Cafe and wrote three pages of brainstorming ideas around this what if. When I got home, I ran the dog for a couple of miles through the growing fall twilight here on the edge of nowhere, and thought up several more aspects of why this unhinged workplace comedy might just work, and came home and wrote out a fourth page of notes/ideas.This might be one of those ideas that carries me.

It feels like it right now, but then its only been about five hours, so I should sleep on it. I don't want to jinx it. I'll let you know what I'm thinking tomorrow.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?