Wednesday, October 25

Seven

How about the "101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived." It's a book about, well, the 101 most influential people who never lived. Fictional types, see? Turns out that link is for a book; save yourself the cash (gasp!) and get the whole list here at USA Today. Then: Debate.

Or perhaps you like short stories. Very short stories. Like six words each. Nick says it's worth reading the stories in the paper verison of Wired for the design/layout.

Also, my brother (who -- ahem -- is skipping NaNoWriMo this year to actually rewrite his novel, "The Origami Master," from last NaNoWriMo) who last blogged about meeting Chuck Palahniuik a month or two ago, sends an e-mail about Chuck following up on his offer to send Spanish language versions of his book to Paul's library (see his blog for the whole story). (Update: You can also go listen to Nick's interview with Chuck).

Well, Paul writes that last week "a box arrived from him. Inside it were 7 of his books, in Spanish, all different titles. Also included were cheap toys, bouncy balls, a box labed pirate crayons and a cheap pirate coloring book, confetti, sparkly streamers, glow-in-the-dark stars, flower seeds, tattoos, Whitman's Sampler candy, Junior Mints, Poprocks and a small plush cow. It was a real party in a box. There was a nice personal letter from him. Written in red pen on that was "Your Power Cow is enclosed!" He complimented my column. This is a guy who'll sit at the head of an autograph line for 7 hours; that he took this time for me is very appreciated."

(Now maybe my brother will see this and keep his blog updated more often, with stuff just like this....)

Oh yeah, why I logged on: Seven days to go until I start writing the next novel. I think about it every day, in great detail. But do I work on it? No. Do I jot notes? No. I'm watching a freaking Oklahoma dog show on TV right now, instead of the World Series, waiting to see the sporting group. Sigh.

Seven days.

Comments:
I just scanned the list ... How do you put JR Ewing over Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn?

Your brother's a traitor!

NANO NANO NANO!!!
 
The top of the list puzzles me: The Marlboro man? Ahead of Santa Claus?

And 21 - Smokey Bear? He's based on a real bear rescued from a wildfire in New Mexico, if my memories of a childhood U.S. Forest Service comic book are correct.

And 50- Kirk and Spock? S'Cuze, me, that's two people.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?