Wednesday, April 2

Back to nonfiction

I finished reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road," and it's a very good book in many ways. Tight. Brutal and powerful. And yet in the end, hopeful too. Now I'm on to some related nonfiction, Jared Diamond's two books about how societies collapse and the short history of everyone. The Pulitzer-winning first one is "Guns, Germs and Steel" and the second, seemingly more environmentally-related one, is "Collapse." I've had my eyes on them for a few years and, justifying them as research for my current project, got them on the buy-one-get-half-price-free table at Borders tonight (where I'm also happy to report I worked for 75 minutes on the novel).

Speaking of writers, word to my nephew Nick for getting his first piece published in The Village Voice. Straight to the big-time for the kid. I'm proud. Go read it: it's a good story.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?